Monday, December 13, 2010

The Power of No

Robbie has recently learned "no" and all the power that comes with the simple word. He's known about shaking his head for a while now, but he wasn't quite sure how to use it properly. Every now and then, he would just move his head from side to side. But now that he can pair it with a solid "no", he's unstoppable.

Tonight, as we crossed the street, I asked Robbie for a kiss. He looked at me, shook his head, laughed, and said, "No." I asked him for a hug. Again, he looked at me, shook his head, laughed, and said, "No." Undaunted, I continued. "Do you know how to say 'yes'?" He paused for a moment, looked at me, and said, "Yeah." I'm still not sure what to make of Robbie's new-found comprehension skills...

He played the same game at dinner. "Do you want more chicken?" "No." "Do you want more cheese?" "No." "Do you want more milk?" "Yeah." And again when we video chatted with my mom, and we asked him to blow her a kiss. "No, no," with a big smile and shake of the head. I have a feeling we're going to hear a lot of this word over the next few years... But at least he says it with a smile. Even a "no" is hard to resist with that smile and those eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment