Thursday, January 27, 2011

Door-to-Door

I pulled a novice mom move today. The doorbell rang, and I left Robbie unattended upstairs. I figured it would only take me a few minutes to get rid of whomever was knocking. I've gotten good at the "I-have-a-baby-upstairs-and-dinner-burning-on-the-stove-why-are-you-inconveniencing-me-right-now?" thing. I use it with religious people and magazine salespeople (is there a sketchier job than that?) who come knocking. But this time, they had something I was interested in: Verizon FIOS.

I took a few minutes to fill out the forms and will soon be saving $30 a month on my Internet, cable, and phone services. And I'll be getting HBO for free (I've been missing the last season of Big Love, for Pete's sake!). All of a sudden it got very quiet upstairs. I joked that I was sure I'd hidden all of the Sharpies.

I hadn't. Luckily, they didn't find the furniture. Just Robbie's Thanksgiving drawing and daycare picture. And a picture frame (he also tore what was in it). And the picture of a friend's daughter - he really got that one. He found Justin's glasses. Justin needs new glasses now. There's only one lens and the left arm bends at a funny angle.

So, I did the only thing a mother could do. I fixed dinner and called Justin to let him know we had good news and good news. The first was that we were going to save $30 a month. The second was that he could get that new pair of glasses he'd mentioned getting a few months ago. And, fortunately for me, Justin was pleased with the good news all around.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! When I get too many people knocking on my door, I usually just put a sign on my door that says something like "I don't need what you are selling." It's a little mean and kind of passive agressive, but it does work.

    ReplyDelete