Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sleepless Nights...

Young Robert has been a great sleeper since he was born. He slept through the night the first time when he was ten days old and started doing it regularly when he was eight weeks old. So I am a very, very spoiled woman. And I really have no right to complain when he doesn't sleep well. But, man! I'm just so tired!

Robbie hasn't slept well for the past week. He wakes up every time we walk past his room. He wakes up every time he rolls over. In fact, I'm not even sure he goes to sleep at all. It feels like he just lies in wait. Compound that with the fact that I have caught his lovely cold, and you have game over. And the worst part? I can't do anything to make it better. At all.

It used to be that I could fix anything by nursing him. I was the most important person in his life. But not any more. Now there are so many more things to go through. Is it the diaper? No. Is it a fever? No. Is he hungry? Usually yes. But tonight... No. Does he want a bottle? Always yes if it is milk. Usually no if it's water and he's crying. Does he want a toy? Never if he's crying. Why bother trying anymore, you ask? Because that's my last resort. After that, it's either start over with the diaper or see if he'll cry it out and eventually go down. That's what I'm currently doing.

I know this is a combination of several things. First, Robbie has his first cold of the season. That always makes it hard to sleep. Especially if he's achy and a little feverish. Second, I think there are about nineteen teeth coming in. Well, at least two. Which I'm sure is more uncomfortable than I'd care to remember. Finally, Robbie's just started "really" walking -- more than two or three steps at a time. That's a pretty huge life change, although I'm not sure why it has to affect his sleep. Do all those experts really know what they're talking about?

So, I'm off to take some NyQuil. And hope I don't have any reason to wake up until the alarm goes off at 5:30 for Justin to head off on a day trip for work. Thank God tomorrow is Friday.

1 comment:

  1. It is funny how quickly you get used to sleeping all night. Fisher didn't sleep through the night unti he had his stents out (so like 4 months) and I remember thinking "if I could only get 5 hours of straight sleep I will never complain again." ha ha ha. Since he was 4 months he has been an awesome sleeper too - and the other night he woke up and I was like WTF???

    ReplyDelete