Friday, September 3, 2010

Hurricane Earl?

Before I get started, let me apologize for missing my post last night. I went to bed around 8:00 because I wasn't feeling well. I woke up at 11:00 and thought about coming downstairs to write but just didn't have the energy. I'll try to do better in the future!

Currently, I am sitting on my couch waiting for a hurricane. I know, I know. I don't live on the beach, and I won't really get to see a hurricane. But I am pretty pumped for a huge storm. Lots of wind. Pouring rain. Is there thunder and lightning with a hurricane? That would just make it better. I might enjoy it a little more, though, if our roof was fixed. It was scheduled to be re-shingled tomorrow, but I had to reschedule. The materials were set to be delivered today, and I was (apparently unnecessarily) concerned about them blowing away in the hurricane. Plus, the roofer's wife was still in labor last night. If it was me, I wouldn't want Justin heading off to re-shingle someone's house while I was in the hospital. But, I'm pretty irrational about those things.

I took Justin up to Lawrence today to see the high school. For some reason, it's important that he knows where I am and can picture it during the day. I like knowing where Justin works. Actually, I like knowing where anyone works. I got to see my friend Rebecca's office and feel like I'm really talking to her when we email during the day. Not that either of us abandons our professional duties for long...

After leaving Lawrence, Justin and I made our way to Water Country and spend the day on water slides while Robbie enjoyed a day with Zhining. It's nice taking time just the two of us every now and then. We don't get a lot of time together when we aren't busy being a parent, and I like getting to remember what it was like just the two of us. And, shockingly, we really like spending time together. I think we're both as tired as Robbie is right now... We climbed a lot of stairs to get to the tops of the slides. We felt slightly irresponsible, knowing we spent the day before the "hurricane" was supposed to hit playing at a water park. We certainly didn't spend it putting up lawn furniture or shutting windows.

Robbie did get to spend some time talking to Nona on video chat while he took a bath tonight. It's funny that he recognizes her as soon as she comes on the screen. He blew her a kiss when he first saw her (could he melt my heart any more?) and played peek-a-boo. There's nothing like virtual peek-a-boo. Nona and Pops had their eyes covered in Kentucky, and Robbie had his eyes covered in the bathroom... A new spin on an old classic! Robbie also showed off his standing skills, pounding on his chest while talking to Nona and standing in the tub. I have no idea what he was saying, but it was apparently very funny. And then he decided it was time to end the conversation because he was climbing out of the tub. When did he get big enough for this? He knows to climb out of the tub? Oy!

No comments:

Post a Comment