Sunday, August 22, 2010

Saying Good Bye

I've extended our trip home as long as I could, and tomorrow Robbie and I fly home. I don't know that I expected good bye to be so hard, but it's been so nice being home. So easy. I don't care how old you are; when you go to your parents' house, you don't have to be in charge. I had forgotten how nice it was to not be in charge for a little while.

Robbie and I have seen all of our friends in Lexington, except for one. We have spent countless hours with family, banking up as much quality time as we could until the next visit. Hilary and I have watched six episodes of Big Brother together, and I'm not sure I'll survive the rest of the season without her on the couch next to me. I have eaten at all of my favorite Lexington restarants and visited some places I had forgotten about. It is the first time that I don't feel like I had to rush through a trip to get to everything and everyone. And I don't feel exhausted going home - although the idea of Robbie on a three hour flight from Atlanta to Boston does make me tired...

And you know what else? I miss my husband. And it's kind of a nice feeling. We haven't been apart for two weeks in close to two years. Sure, he traveled a lot when Robbie was really little, but he was never gone more than a week without coming home for a day or two. I cannot wait to see him Tuesday night when he gets in from Texas. For the first time in a while, we have so much to catch up on!

It's hard tearing yourself away from family when you come visit (unless it's been a terrible trip, and you just can't get to the airport fast enough!). I must have hugged Hilary six times before I left her house tonight (the poor cat got two!), but I only got teary once. I know I'll be a mess when Mom drops me off at the airport tomorrow morning. But, you know what? There's always Thanksgiving! I hear we'll be home for Thanksgiving for the first time in six years...

1 comment:

  1. My comment didn't post :(
    Good seeing you at lunch. Sorry I didn't make it swimming (was still writing up the offer...they were an HOUR late) didn't get back in town till 5...and didn't make it Sat :(
    Sorry, friend...I love ya
    Hopefully Robbie will allow you to keep your sanity on the flight. See you at Thanksgiving. Owen starts pre school today I will be a mess. talk to you soon. love ya!

    ReplyDelete