Saturday, August 21, 2010

Exhausted from Nothing

Ever have one of those days when you're so exhausted you can barely stand at the sink long enough to brush your teeth? Me, too. Every day of my life. And I have no idea why I am so tired. I'm lucky enough to get about seven hours of sleep a night; perhaps my body just craves eight. I don't feel like I'm doing anything so extraordinary that my body can't stay awake. Am I just old?

I nearly went to bed without writing tonight. It didn't even occur to me until I was halfway down the stairs. And then I thought about ignoring it because I was too tired to even think of anything to write about. But what did I do today to make me so tired?

I slep until 8:40. Maybe that's where the problem started - eight hours of sleep. It's too much now; my body can't handle it? We spent two hours at a craft fair, but Robbie only got fussy at the end. Surely that isn't it. We spent forty minutes at the pool. I could understand tired from the pool, but forty minutes shouldn't qualify. I diverted full cups of water that were being poured onto the floor from the bathtub - mostly unsuccessfully - and wrestled with a thirteen-month-old boy as I tried to wash his face and hair. I drank a few beers, had pizza, and caught up on all the latest Teen Mom drama. And almost fell asleep during Date Night.

Are mothers just this tired because we bear the emotional responsibility for everyone else in the family? Is it their way of beating us into submission? I don't know. I'll have to sleep on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment