Saturday, October 23, 2010

Spooky!

For the past five years, I have heard about the Spooky Walk at the park down the street from us, but we've never gone. This year, I decided, would be different. Since it was the Spooky Walk, Robbie couldn't go in just anything. After all, adorable baby isn't a good costume if that's what you are every day... And thus began the quest for the right Halloween costume.

We started our journey not actually looking for a costume. We went to the other park down the street for their field day. Robbie ran around and danced to music like a mad man. He picked up rocks and sticks and stirred the dirt. He climbed and slid and swung (swang?). He laughed and "hi"ed all over the place. He stole Justin's ice cream (yes, the ice cream truck was there in late October). He had a blast.

After attempting to tire the child (and succeeding in only tiring ourselves), we set off for TJMaxx, sure we would find a great costume at a bargain price. Oh, and we needed adult socks since all our pairs are missing one sock. There were a few costumes there. For girls. And, although we did find the socks we needed, the overall mission was a fail. So we moved on in our search.

Justin initially steered the car toward the mall, which I decided wasn't the right option. This was mostly because the only place we'd be able to go was Gymboree, and I'd left the coupon at home. I was not going to go in that store without a coupon! So we went to Target. Surely Target would have an ample supply of costumes. Right? Wrong. They had a few toddler costumes, but they were wicked expensive ($40, really?!) and a size too big for Robbie. Fail. Times two.

And so we headed home, me feeling like I had failed as a mother. After all, we only have a week until Halloween. And, knowing me, there won't be much time for costume shopping during the week. Not to mention, we have a Halloween dance Thursday night. This was time for something serious. Thus began my Internet search. I naively started with "homemade Halloween costumes." That's really not me. So, I headed to Amazon but didn't want to pay outrageous shipping.

Then it hit me. Where do I always look when all else fails? That's right: craigslist. Place of breast pumps, baby slings, and rocking chairs. Surely my perfect costume would be there. And surely I could find one in the right size relatively close. Right? RIGHT! At last! Success! Believe it or not, the costume was living in a home only a mile and a half from our house. And a bargain at just $10. I got it just in time for the Spooky Walk. Not only was Robbie festively attired, but he was warm. And adorable.

Be fairly warned before watching the video. He's pretty scary. I just want you to be prepared...

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Manna's Sonn . Hes Adorablee


    Sincerally
    Yuur Favorite Student
    Maxirex Melendez

    ReplyDelete