Thursday, March 10, 2011

Good Night!

Bed time has become quite the ritual at our house. Lots of screaming. Lots and lots of screaming tonight. No one could console young Robert. First, there was screaming about his teeth. Both toothbrushes were still upstairs, and I, unfortunately, picked the wrong one to "make". It was so bad that Robbie wanted to walk down the stairs to rectify the situation. I caught him with one foot off the landing...

Things got a little better with a lovely game we call Hop on Pop. For five minutes, Robbie threw himself at Justin repeatedly. And then he found Justin's belly button. A fun game of "Find the Belly Button" quickly ensued. But then it was time for stories, prayers, and bedtime. Robert was having nothing to do with any of this.

He screamed as we put him in his crib, again throwing himself at me and trying to climb out of the crib. I'm definitely one for letting him cry it out, but I also know when Rob has reached the point of inconsolable. And, boy, was he there. I finally realized the problem: his sippy cup. Zhining asked me not to give him bottles any more because he was throwing cups at daycare and refusing to drink. I tried to oblige, but, desperate times call for desperate measures. I've never seen Justin down and up the stairs so fast with a full bottle of milk.

Robbie grabbed the bottle from Justin's hands and thew himself back into my arms as I rocked. After a few minutes, he sat himself up and put his head on my shoulder to cuddle. We read a few books; we made our way all the way through prayers. I told Robbie we could cuddle for a few more minutes or he could go to bed, and he put his head back on my shoulder and his arm around my neck.

I'm heading up to bed myself now, but, before I do, I'll check in on the little man. Zhining told me he's learned to put a blanket on himself before he takes a nap. I'll be curious to see if he does that here, too. I tried to explain it to him before he fell asleep, but, as far as I know, he only understands these instructions in Chinese...

No comments:

Post a Comment